Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Career and Internship Fair

As I stated in the previous post, this semester has been very tight and it seems like I have been working everyday that there has been a career fair or any career services event.  Luckily, though, I was able to attend a few events last semester.  One of the events that I attended was the internship and career fair.  Unlike the career panel I did not leave feeling very confident about my degree or future career perspectives.  There were a few issues that I faced during the fair.  One of the biggest obstacles that I felt that I faced during the fair was that whenever I told that anybody what my major was they instantly had a blank stare on their face.  No one knew what an Urban and Metropolitan studies major was so they didn’t think that it could fit into their field. Another thing that I didn’t like about the career fair was that at the time I was looking for an internship and there didn’t seem to be a lot of internship opportunities or the panelists were from private businesses that didn’t provide internships.   I was very discouraged after the event, but it did motivate me to pursue internships outside of what public governmental sphere.   

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that I am not the only one loL!! Not only are people unfamiliar with the UMS major, but those Career and Internship fairs don't ever have anything relatively close to things that I'd be interested in. Do you have a particular area of interest withing UMS?

    ReplyDelete