Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Student Worker Evaluation


So I don’t know if I had mentioned this in previous post or not, but I am what ASU likes to call a “student worker”.  That means I go to school and work for ASU, but I am not on work study and I am not a staff member so no real benefit.  Also, student workers are technically hired on through a contract.  Meaning that at the end of every semester the staff and manager or whichever department you work in evaluate your job performance and decide if they would like to renew your contract.  If this tradition was kept in the past is unbeknown to me, but it is being set forth this year.   As mentioned earlier my job is fairly easy so I can’t really complain.  That being said I do like to show that I care and if I can go the extra mile.  So I am not too worried that I will be “let go” this coming semester, but it is a little disconcerting knowing that your every move is being judged.  Now, hopefully ever employer does take their employees performance into consideration at least every now and then, but it seems a little more apparent when you know that it is happening.  

1 comment:

  1. Evaluations are a little different in each ASU Department, I've found. Some stick to the policy of once a year or once a semester (for student workers). As a student worker, I was never evaluated. In my experience as both a student worker and supervisor of student workers, student staff is rarely "let go" (or even evaluated).

    ReplyDelete