Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Career Panel

This semesters schedule has been so going to the career services events has been difficult.  Luckily, I was able to attend a few during last year.  One of the events was a career panel that featured non-profit and governmental sectors.  I thought that the insight that they gave in applying and preparing for a career was very interesting.  They focused in on specific majors that looked attractive in a field and even what your social media profiles should look like.  A few people from the non-profit sector urged us to intern as a way to get into the field.  Also, they stressed that the career choice that you make now isn’t necessarily the one that you will end up with.  After the panel I was able to talk to a UMS grad and discuss a little of the hardships that someone with our degree faces in the career field.  I took away from that panel a better idea of what I wanted to do and what I needed to do if I wanted to be in those specific fields.   Since it has been close to a year since I attended I have been able to accumulate more advice, which has only intensified what was being conveyed in that event. 

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of using a social media profile to help your chances at getting a job. So often they are portrayed in a negative light. I am working on creating a personal website/blog to house my resume and goal statements. I have also used Twitter for similar purposes.

    ReplyDelete