Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Trade Secrets

In August I will have worked in the University Technology Office for ASU for exactly two years.  Before that I would not have even dreamed that I would ever be considered as “IT”.  I, like many who only deal with IT when something drastic goes wrong, had a limited view on what exactly they did.  If they were called I suppose I thought that they know what they were talking about and were able to easily solve the issue at hand.  Very soon after starting this position my mindset changed.  To be very honest, when you call IT, even when you call IT that have degrees in tech related fields they have no idea what they are doing when they first approach a problem.  Yes, they may know what goes wrong with the system or equipment, but that does not mean that that is what is going on in this specific instant.  After they have eliminated that they problem is not one that is common it is a simple act of guessing and trial and error until a problem is solved.  So, please, next time you interact with and IT person give him or her benefit of the doubt that they do not know everything.  And a little trade secret, when we say, “Let me check my knowledge base.” That just means we are looking it up on Google.

No comments:

Post a Comment