Wednesday, December 7, 2011

“Working Adult…?”

I don’t know if it is the same for other departments in universities that hire on student workers, but everyone in my office has a very unique definition on what a “working adult” is or what an “adult” is.  I have been working full time and going to school full time since I was sixteen.  I have been paying my own bills since I was eighteen and going to school, yet I have never really felt like I was an adult.  Even now, I live by myself, pay my own bills, and take care of myself 100% I still have a hard time telling myself that I am a “working adult” and I think it is because of my current job.  The same goes for the other student workers and staff member who are still completing a degree.  We all talk about how we don’t want to graduate because then we will have to enter the “real world” and get a “real job”.  Yet, we are all adults and could easily find work elsewhere.  Perhaps we are all in denial. 

No comments:

Post a Comment